Thursday, December 16, 2010

Content in your happiness?

My evening last night was simply buoyant as I was visited by my two very special friends.

Our evening was first consumed in the bliss bubbling in my new HP which I have deservingly named Apple. We then bit into the sweet South African delicacy defined by ice cream and then we commuted to the lounge for an impromptu interview.

My Brooch and I once discussed the difference between being happy and the lasting feeling of being content. I thought it would be an appropriate topic of discussion as these two love birds have engraved their relationship on something much stronger than worldly emotion.

I asked Nikki what she would prefer. She immediately opted for security found in being content. She wants those moments where there is nothing but their hearts communicating. This can be found in those moments where there is nothing said. When they can just stare into each others eyes and know without verbally declaring it: That they love each other.

Si, my colleague i so often bring up, immediately interrupted and said he disagrees. It was a bit of a shocker... I won't lie. But then his answer was a pearler. He said that he wants happiness all the time around. He wants to fight to make it continuous. He wants her to be part of a relationship  that is so much more than what the world sees in relationships. He is fighting to make happiness the new definition of being content. Wow.

He said there can be quiet moments like when they are on a mountain top but that is in context. There is something about the view and Nikki that takes any words right out of his mouth. Those moments cannot be boxed by the word contentment.

We continued talking and I have so many topics that will make great future blogs but there was something both of them did not mention. Words alone cannot define it. There is such beauty in the way they are comfortable with each other. Their stares are warm and knitted together. They are the epitome of grace and respect in a relationship.

They are not afraid to disagree but simultaneously respect each others point in discussion.

Their reaffirming realness takes their relationship from something that should be ordinary to something joyous and extraordinary.

1 comment: